The Buchanan County Sheriff's Department is located in the Law Enforcement Center at 501 Faraon Street in St. Joseph, Missouri, (816) 271-5555. If you desire to help others and serve the community, then a position with the Sheriff's Department may be for you. The application process for both full and part time positions is a multi-staged process and is designed to recruit quality Sheriff Department employees.
General Duties of a Deputy Sheriff - Responds to and investigates all calls for service, performs proactive patrol and traffic enforcement, conducts criminal investigations, prepares written reports and criminal cases for prosecution, serves adult abuse orders and all types of civil process, ensures care, custody, and control of inmates, inmate transports, school resource officers, and other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM LAW ENFORCEMENT QUALIFICATIONS
- Missouri POST Certified Peace Officer - Minimum 21 years of age.
- Reside within the State of Missouri and within 30 minutes response time of the Law Enforcement Enforcement Center within 90 days of employment.
- Pass a written exam at 70% or above.
- Pass a oral screening board at 70% or above and interviews.
- Successfully pass a background investigation.
- Weight in proportion to height.
- Vision - Corrected distant vision 20/20 in each eye.
- Successfully pass a physical/medical examination as established by the Sheriff's Department.
- Successfully pass a drug screening examination.
- Meet identity requirements as required by federal law.
- No Protective Order or on probation/parole, no criminal record charges pending, never convicted of a felony.
- Successful completion of all required training.
- The first step of the process begins by completing and application for employment. You may pick up an employment application during regular business hours at 501 Faraon Street. You should carefully and thoroughly complete the application. The applicant must submit a copy of their POST certificate, all academy or in-service training documents, current driver's license, social security card, high school diploma/GED and any official certified college transcripts, and birth certificate.
- In order to be eligible for testing, all documents should be submitted at least 30 days before the examination for which you wish to be scheduled.
- You will be notified in writing of the date and location of your pre-employment examiniation. You must notify the Buchanan County Administration Division, at least 5 working days before the date of the test, if you cannot sit for the examiniation. You may make a written request to e rescheduled for another examination. Failure to make proper notification may make you ineligible for employment.
- After taking the examination, you will be notified within 30 days of the results of your examination and if you are eligible for further employment processing. Passing an examination does not guarantee employment. The names of the successful candidates are considered for further processing as positions within the Sheriff's Department become available. Your application is kept on file for a 12 month period. After 12 months, to be reconsidered for employment you must make a new application.
- When vacancies exist applicants from the established list will be notified for an interview. Rules established for the written test also apply to the interview process.
- If after your interview, there is a mutual employment interest, you must successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation, an oral screening board, a physical agility test, a medical and drug examination, and an interview with the Sheriff.